Pop with Mimi on Mother's Day
a few years ago (my mom's parents):
a few years ago (my mom's parents):

They basically told him he had a few days to live and that they would not recommend treatment at his age. What?!?! My aunt and uncle flew down to KY that night, and luckily, I was already in town working in the office that week. We learned the next morning following his diagnosis that Pop's primary doctor had made some calls to doctor friends in Nashville. One doctor at Centennial Hospital looked at his numbers and said by all means we should bring him down for testing and possibly treatment. A mere 12 hours later God had provided us hope!
Throughout the last three weeks, my family and I have struggled with the roller coaster of emotions that come when someone close to you is diagnosed with a terminal illness. I am blessed to have three grandparents still living, so this is new territory for me and my brothers.
I am happy to say Pop got to go home yesterday!! His numbers were good enough after his first round of chemo that they allowed him to go home for a few days. He still has to come back on Monday for another 10 days of chemo. We're still not sure how he will progress over time, but we are truly thankful for the time we get to share.
Mimi and Pop were able to stay at a "home" a few blocks from the hospital for about a week while they waited on his test results. I did not know this existed before, but the American Cancer Society Hope Lodge in Nashville is a 41-bed facility that allows patients and caregivers to stay for free while they are undergoing cancer treatments at local hospitals once they are released as outpatients. It was such a relief to have this place for them to call home instead of a germy hotel.
Thanks to all of my friends who have said prayers for my grandfather and my family. I truly believe that is why he is still with us today!
I'm so glad to hear he's doing better. Still thinking of you. xx
ReplyDeleteSo happy to see this! Will keep praying for a complete healing!
ReplyDelete