Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Blogging Vacation

We have had a busy couple of months - not like the slow, relaxing summers I knew growing up. Time used to drag so slowly from June through August, playing softball, swimming, reading, hanging out with friends, waiting for the excitement of the first day of school to arrive. But I cannot believe how quickly summer passes us by now. Mike and I have managed to travel some this summer, but most of it has been for work and family reasons. I'll get to the travels a bit later, but first, I need to write about a very special man...

It has taken me several weeks to write these words.

My grandfather, Howard Hartwell, lost his short battle with cancer in the early morning of July 4th with my mom, aunt and grandmother by his side. I had written before about his fight, which started abruptly at the end of March. By the end of June, he had bravely undergone three rounds of chemo before the doctors determined the treatments could no longer hold off the aggressive form of cancer that had taken over. Our family was shocked to lose our beloved Pop so quickly. But now that I've had a few weeks to reflect on the whole experience, I've come to realize that those few short months we had with Pop after his diagnosis were such a blessing. We were able to really cherish our time together with him and with our family members, supporting each other and banding together in support of Pop. We are going to miss him...

On to travels -

Mike has been traveling a bunch to San Antonio for his job. The big benefit of all this back and forth (for him) is that he earned A-List status on Southwest Airlines (think shorter security lines, earlier boarding) and he will soon earn a Companion Pass (for me!). That means I see more long weekend trips to Florida in our future!! Mike also got to spend a fun, summer weekend in Chicago for the wedding of our good friends, Brian and Brooke. I wasn't able to go along, but I heard the wedding was beautiful and the weather perfect. Of course, I don't really have any pictures to go along with this weekend because Mike things taking pictures is a "girl thing." Oh well.

We took a weekend trip in early June to a fabulous place in East Tennessee called Blackberry Farms. If you ever have a chance to go, DO IT!! The "Farms" is more like an adult "camp" with gourmet food.

The setting is beautiful....

You can canoe in this picturesque pond...

You can go to the spa in this old farmhouse...

You can go fly fishing...

Or hiking...

You can hang out with the animals (this is "Buster")...

You can borrow a convertible to drive to town to buy clothes because you forgot your hanging bag of dinner outfits (jackets required for dinner). Thank goodness for TJ Maxx...

You can enjoy a gourmet dinner in the "Barn"...

We are already saving our pennies for the next fabulous weekend getaway to Blackberry!

No comments:

Post a Comment